Dr Dinesh Kannan
Dr Dinesh Kannan is a dedicated Consultant Psychiatrist working in General Adult Psychiatry. Dr Kannan has a medical degree, Post Graduate Diploma in Psychiatry and is an affiliate Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. Dr Kannan is Section 12 (2) Approved under the Mental Health Act 1983 and is an EMDR Therapist.
Dr Kannan has over 15 years’ experience within the NHS, diagnosing and treating patients with depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD, psychological reaction associated with stress and physical illness, and complex patients with co-morbidities including Trauma, Eating Disorders and Autism.
He is currently working with clients with chronic mental health difficulties including bipolar illness with comorbid trauma, personality difficulties and addiction.
Dr Kannan believes in integration of psychiatry, neuroscience, and psychology to provide holistic treatment that is evidence based, on par with advancement in neuroscientific research and underpinned in psychological principles.
Dr Kannan incorporates psychological models as part of the patient experience, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) and offers EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) therapy.
Dr Kannan’s colleagues describe him as a pleasure to work with. He is known as pleasant and professional, flexible, skilled, personable, hard-working, conscientious, with good clinical skills and extensive psychiatric knowledge and experience. He works respectfully and collaboratively with clients to treat and manage their mental health, working for the best outcome for all.
Conditions I treat
Therapeutic Approaches Used
- Psychopharmacology combined with psychosocial interventions
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
Qualifications & Education
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) - Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga University, India
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychiatry - University of Leeds
- Accredited EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing) Therapist
- Diploma in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy - Centre of Excellence
- Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - Centre of Excellence
- Understanding ADHD: Current Research and Practice - Kings College London
- Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) 2 – Training - Beginning with A
Professional Bodies & Membership
- Member of the General Medical Council
- Affiliate Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists