Dr William Guri
Dr William Guri is a Counselling Psychologist experienced in treating a range of conditions including depression, anxiety, behavioural problems, and trauma. He also works with patients with learning disabilities, autism, ADHD, and religious or spiritual struggles.
Dr Guri earned his Masters and Doctoral degrees in Counselling at Loyola University Maryland in the USA, and also completed clinical internships at Maryland’s Fouse Center, Crisis Intervention Center, and Family and Youth Services Bureau. He worked extensively in community development, pastoral care, and leadership in Zimbabwe for 18 years, before moving into clinical mental health work in the UK in 2019. In the UK, his work includes Regional Clinical Lead for London and South at Place2Be, Counselling Psychologist at Five Rivers, and Counselling Psychologist at Priory Healthcare.
Dr Guri is also trained in Client Centred Play Therapy, Sand Tray Therapy, ADOS-2 assessment for autism, LGBTQ Sensitivity, and religious and spiritual integration. He is empathetic, compassionate, and flexible and his extensive experience and training enable him to integrate both psychotherapeutic approaches and psychospiritual perspectives in a way that best suits his patients’ needs.
Dr Guri forms strong working relationships with patients and colleagues alike. Respectful, non-judgemental, and patient-centred, he works collaboratively with people across different ages and cultural backgrounds. He is passionate about promoting social justice, respecting human diversity, and affirming inclusion. Dr Guri also has significant experience in dealing with confidentiality and building trust with his patients.
Conditions I treat
Therapeutic approaches used
Qualifications and Education
- MD, USA (2019)
- MSc in Pastoral Counselling, Loyola University Maryland, Columbia, MD, USA (2007)
- BA (Hons) in Religious Studies, University of Zimbabwe (2001)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Counsellor Education and Supervision.
Professional Bodies and Membership
- Member of the American Psychological Association (2016-Present)
- Member of the American Counselling Association (2006-Present)
- Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (2019)
- Member of the British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies (2019)
- National Certified Counsellor under the National Board for Certified Counsellors, USA (2019)
- Member of the Zimbabwe Psychology Association (2020)
- The Black African and Asian Therapy Network BAATN (2021-Present)